Prof. Wolfgang Hentrich studied with Gudrun Schröter and Gustav Schmahl in Dresden. From 1987 to 1996 he was First Concertmaster of the Robert Schumann Philharmonic Orchestra Chemnitz, before becoming Coordinated Concertmaster of the Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra in 1996. He has played with the orchestra several times as a soloist, and numerous CD recordings attest to his musical output.
He is director of the Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, primarius of the Dresden String Quintet and the Carus Ensemble Dresden, and has led the German String Philharmonic since 2013. In 2002, together with music-loving amateurs, he founded the Fördervereinsorchester der Dresdner Philharmonie, of which he has been conductor ever since.
Wolfgang Hentrich holds a professorship at the Dresden Academy of Music.
He plays a violin by the Venetian Sanctus Seraphin from 1725, which was made available to him by the Dresden Philharmonic Society.